Monochrome Interiors And How To Create Them
[pin_board url=”https://uk.pinterest.com/maudints/monochrome-interior-inspiration/” size=”custom” image_width=”900″ board_width=”900″ board_height=”1450″]
Scandi or monochrome interiors can be difficult to pull off as they can look stark, cold and clinical. Two Scandinavian designers who nail this look are Danish fashion, interior designer and artist, Marlene Birger and Swedish stylist, make-up artist and founder of boutique, Miloii, Karolina Vertus. You can see shots from their properties in our Pinterest board above (use the scroll bar on the right hand side to see all the photos).
There are five key elements to monochrome interiors:
Add patterned rugs, blankets, cushions and throws to break up expanses of one colour. Stick to a restricted colour palette and don’t be afraid to mix stripes, zig zags, florals and tribal motifs.
Thick Beni Ourain rugs, hand-woven runners, striped and patterned blankets, sequinned wedding blankets, throws and piles of assorted cushions all add layers, texture, pattern and warmth.
Sequinned Moroccan wedding blankets, lassi cups, silver sculptures, candlesticks, contemporary metallic lights, tea light holders, inlaid furniture and metallic tiles all reflect the light and add sparkle.
Rustic or global wooden furniture, tribal carvings and wicker baskets all add texture. I would also add plants to the mix.
Create a visual feast with bold contemporary artwork or mix and match styles on a gallery wall.
Get The Look
- Add pattern and texture with our hand-woven Indian Zig Zag runner in black and white, £380
- A bold striped blanket, perfect on the bed or thrown over a sofa, Moroccan Pom Pom Blanket Natural Black £183
- Kilim Pouf Ayoub, a Beni Ourain pouf, will provide extra seating, pattern and texture to a room, £110
- A sophisticated basket with layers of ribbing will add texture, Open Ribbed Basket Black Gogo Christina, £112, shown here on our natural and white Indian Zig Zag runner, £380
- A striped blanket will add warmth and pattern, Moroccan Pom Pom Blanket Black Natural, £183
- Add a decorative touch with one of our storage baskets, Bonakele Black, £180
- These Black and Natural baskets Bonakele, available in three sizes, £34 – £80, add pattern and texture
- A traditional Beni Ourain carpet adds pattern, texture and warmth underfoot, £795
- Vintage lassi cups add pattern and a silvery shine, (available in a variety of patterns and sizes), £30 – £34
- Add sparkle with vintage Moroccan wedding blankets, (shown here Assia) £225 and cushions.
If you are a fan of monochrome interiors you can read more on Karonlina Vertus, her apartment and family, in Milk magazine here. Marlene Birger has written two books on her style and properties, you can read more about them and see her artwork here.