Shreyas Recipe for Spinach and Cumin Soup
Mani, one of the five chefs at Shreyas yoga and wellbeing retreat in Nelamangala, Bangalore, showed me how to make this healthy, nourishing spinach and cumin soup. The food at the Shreyas ashram is vegetarian and is created according to yogic principles so it’s “fresh, light and nutritious”. Ingredients are hand-picked from the retreat’s organic gardens and every meal is a culinary delight. There’s more to follow on Shreyas in another post, for now I am sharing this delicious soup recipe, which is quick and easy to make and full of flavour, in time for the Easter break.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/2 a red onion finely chopped
- 1 packet of fresh, organic, spinach
- 1.5 tblsps olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 300 ml cold water
- 50 ml skimmed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Heat the olive oil in a large wok.
- Add the cumin, garlic and onion and allow to lightly brown.
- Add the spinach leaves and reduce.
- Once the spinach has reduced add 300ml water (the water must be cold) and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the wok from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the mixture is at room temperature add 50ml skimmed milk, the cardamom powder and cinnamon then blend.
- Reheat and enjoy.